John Cage's Rules For Students
John Cage's Rules for Students and Teachers
* Find a place you trust and then try trusting it for a while.
* General duties of a student:
* pull everything out of your teacher.
* pull everything out of your fellow students.
* General duties of a teacher:
* pull everything out of your students.
* Consider everything an experiment.
* Be self-disciplined.
* Nothing is a mistake. There's no win and no fail, there's only make.
* The only rule is work. If you work it will lead to something.
* It's the people who do all of the work all of the time who eventually catch on to things. You can fool the fans but not the players.
* Don't try to create and analyze at the same time. They're different processes.
* Be happy whenever you can manage it. Enjoy yourself. It's lighter than you think.
* Always be around. Come or go to everything. Always go to classes. Read anything you can get your hands on. Save everything. It may come in handy later.
Keep in mind I found the above on the INTERNET so not sure it's his for real, but it sounds like Cage. Found here.