Elia Kazan on directing


Elia Kazan on "Streetcar" and directing...

I've never done a storyboard in my life, I wouldn't know how to start. It wouldn't mean anything to me...

You can't make a storyboard until you see what the actor's going to give you. And if you have any respect for your own talent, stirring up an actor, or the actor's talent for responding to your direction, you're not sure of what the hell's going to happen. And a good director's not sure when he gets on the set what he's going to do. I like directors who come on the set and create something that's a little dangerous, difficult or unusual.

I fell that the more ambivalent you are and the more uncertain you are in the morning, then you'll get something you have not gotten before and that you can not anticipate and no one else can anticipate.

Comments

wnltl said…
Hi thanks ffor sharing this

Popular Posts